Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Is H1N1 still a threat parents traveling for China adoption?

I read the World Health Organization is considering taking the label pandemic off of the H1N1 virus. This piqued my curiosity in relationship to the China adoption community and how this continues to affect travel. My husband and I were part of the wave of travelers under the threat of possible quarantine upon landing in Beijing last summer. Luckily, we were never pulled despite a man on the plane ahead of us having his temperature taken twice. It was the first time, in years, I have witnessed a medical professional whip out a mercury thermometer. Luckily, we were in the clear.


A year later, things have obviously changed significantly. First and foremost a vaccine is available. What my husband and I wouldn’t have given for that option as the planes interior dropped by at least 15 degrees. As I shivered, taking three ibuprofen and handing another three off to my husband, a needle in the arm, prior to travel, would have been blessed reassurance.

For those who do not get the vaccine, with a fever upon arrival, there are still a few precautions taken. Upon reading, I found that people are no longer quarantined. A health declaration is filled out on board the place, and temperatures continue to be taken. The system is less rigorous than a year ago, however those entering the country with a fever are asked to see a doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment